As a charity, UpsnDowns offers one-to-one swimming lessons in Kettering, Corby, Northampton and Wellingborough to children aged 2 and over.
Each weekly swimming lesson ranges from 20 to 30 minutes.
Swimming offers many health and recreational benefits to children with Down’s syndrome. These include:
- Building endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- Improving muscle tone, as nearly all muscles are used during swimming
- Helping to maintain a healthy weight, heart and lungs
- Improving coordination, balance and posture
- Improving flexibility
- Swimming offers a low impact therapy
- Offering opportunities to meet people, join clubs
- Learning a valuable life skill
- Benefiting mental health as it helps relieve stress and tension.
To help raise money to support the fully funded services that UpsnDowns provide to their members, every year the charity holds an annual swimathon organised by our Non-Parent Trustee (and swimming teacher) Phillippa Tate. Along with raising money, this event brings many member families together. Our swimathon is open to all abilities and ages as well as siblings.
Click here to get in touch with us for more information on Swimming Lessons.